In kiln, trunnion wheels, also known as trunnion rollers, are critical components because they sit at the center of the equipment function. Over time, wear and tear can take its toll, leading to replacement. Here is how to identify when replacement is necessary, and the replacement process for your trunnion roller assembly.
Why Replacing Trunnion Rollers is Important
The longevity and performance of your kiln depends on the condition of your trunnion rollers. These rollers are crucial for supporting and rotating the drum, which is usually laden with heavy loads. If the trunnion rollers are not in optimal condition, they can lead to a variety of problems, including misalignment of the drum, uneven wear on the tires, inefficient operation, and even catastrophic failure of the entire unit.
How to Check Whether Your Trunnion Roller Assembly Needs Replacement
Identifying when a trunnion roller assembly needs replacement can save you from unplanned downtimes and expensive repairs. Here are some signs to look out for:
Misalignment is one of the key indicators of a trunnion roller problem. It can manifest in uneven wear patterns on the tires, as well as abnormal vibrations or noises. Tools such as dial indicators, shims, and laser alignment systems can be used to check for alignment problems.
Excessive surface hardness of the trunnion roller is another sign that replacement may be necessary. Over time, operation under heavy loads can cause hard spots to form on the surface of the roller, which can cause damage to the tires. A hardness tester can be used to check the surface hardness of the roller.
When it is Necessary to Replace the Tires
The condition of your trunnion roller assembly directly impacts your kiln tires. Over time, the tires can develop uneven wear patterns, cracks, or other signs of damage due to issues with the trunnion rollers. If you observe these symptoms, it’s a clear sign that you should consider replacing both the tires and the trunnion roller assembly.
Trunnion Roller Assembly Replacement Process
- Disconnecting the power supply: For safety, ensure that the power to the machine is turned off and that it has completely stopped rotating.
- Removing the old trunnion roller assembly: The old assembly needs to be carefully unbolted and removed from the machine.
- Installing the new trunnion roller assembly: The new assembly is carefully positioned and bolted into place. Ensure that it is installed correctly and securely to prevent misalignment or instability.
- Aligning the new assembly: The new assembly must be carefully aligned with the rest of the machine. This is critical to prevent any future issues with the tires or other components.
- Checking the installation: Finally, the installation should be checked, and the machine tested to ensure that it operates smoothly and without any issues.
Get in Touch with Kiln Technology Company Company for Trunnion Roller Assembly Replacement
When the time comes to replace your trunnion roller assembly, the team at Kiln Technology Company Company is ready to help. With our experience in maintaining rotary kiln equipment, we are well-equipped to perform replacements safely, efficiently, and accurately. Don’t hesitate to contact us to get a quote when you need trunnion roller assembly replacement services.